Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My work in progress

A little look into the world I am writing now...

As the door shut behind her, she turned to face the man she had to assume to be Drago, their eyes locking. A man so big, the small space became tiny. Only a few steps separated them, and she could almost feel the heat of his body. Or maybe it was she who heated at their closeness. He was perhaps the sexiest she’d ever seen. The attraction she felt for this man clouded her mind. Fear and adrenaline coursed through her body, as did the unbidden, unexplainable, rage of desire. She didn’t get overwhelmed by a man often. She liked sex, just not the heartache and complications a relationship might yield. Since bed hopping didn’t appeal, she found herself simply going without. After a while, she found she didn’t need it as much as she had once thought.
Even Alex, a physically sexy male, hadn’t pulled a reaction. Not from her. From Carrie, Alex has drawn pure lust. Even near obsession. But this man…this man, sent a rush of lust through her body she couldn’t control. Right now, feeling the craziness of instant desire, Joline understood a bit of what Carrie had felt. And she didn’t like it. Didn’t like the feeling of being out of control. Of reacting without conscious thought.
Silence lingered as sexual heat pulsed between Joline and this man. Awareness seemed to prevent words. They simply stood there, absorbed in each other, neither moving.
“You shouldn’t have come here,” he said, finally, breaking the spell that had held them entranced.
“I had no choice. I have to find my friend.”
“And what of you? Who will find you?”
Her throat went dry at his words, a bit of fear zipping through her gut. He was testing her. She was sure of it. For what? That was the question. Resolve? True desire to find her friend. Or was he taunting her? What if she’d made a mistake entering his apartment? “I’m not stupid,” Joline managed in a strong voice. “People know I’m here.”
He took a step towards her. “I don’t think so.” She forced herself to keep her feet solidly planted. Not to back away. “I think you’re desperate to find your friend. Someone gave you my name, and you rushed over here without considering the consequences.”
“You’re right about my friend,” she said as he stopped directly in front of her forcing her to tilt her chin upward to meet his gaze. With her height at five foot five, he towered over her a good foot. “I am desperate to find her. She was dating Alex. He…made her act out of character. She started going to…places she normally wouldn’t.”
His response was immediate. “Sex clubs.”
She nodded. “Right. And now she’s gone.”
He stared at her. One second. Two. Three. Then, he moved away, putting distance between himself and Jolene. She cast him a slanted look, watching him stop in the corner kitchen area of the rectangular shaped room. His actions seemed to indicate less aggression. Less intention to cause harm. Relief slid across her body, though her heart still beat like a drum against her chest.
“How about a drink?” he asked as he pulled two glasses out of the cabinet and a bottle of bourbon.
She turned to face him. “No.” A pause. “Thank you.” She swallowed. “So…you know Alex?”
He poured amber colored liquid into a glass and took a sip. “I know him.”
Hope filled her thoughts. She widened her eyes and took a tentative step forward. “Then you can tell me how to find him?”
He leaned against the counter crossing one booted leg over the other. “Nope.”
Disappointed rip through her gut. “Why?” she demanded, desperation taking hold. “Please. I have to find my friend.”
“You have no idea what you are dealing with here. Let the police handle this.”
Frustration rolled inside, and her fists balled by her sides. He had to know the police were no help. “You think I haven’t tried that route? The police do nothing. I need to find my friend. Tell me where Alex is. I’ll pay you.” But she had no more money, and she knew it. She’d find it though. Somehow. For Carrie. For her ‘sister’. The only family she had left since her parents’ car accident three years ago. She couldn’t lose Carrie, too. “I heard you can get me into the clubs he frequents.”
Before she could breathe, let along think, Drago had set his glass down and closed the distance between them. In one move, she was against the wall, his muscular legs framing hers, pressing against her thighs. His spicy male scent surrounding her, the impact sensual, and drugging. Her limbs felt heavy with desire. Her nipples tight with uncontrollable arousal.
“You think you have what it takes to enter Alex’s world?” he demanded.
“I know I do,” she lied, forcing herself to meet his gaze, not allowing him to see fear. He was trying to scare her, and if he succeeded, she knew she’d leave here with no more information than she’d had before coming. “I’ll do whatever it takes to find my friend. I need inside his world, and I know you can get me there.”
With the words, she stared into his deep, dark eyes and prayed he would help. She remembered the name of two clubs Carrie had talked about, but neither allowed you inside without a recommendation from a member. If she didn’t get inside those places she’d never find her friend. She could feel it with every ounce of her being. She’d do what it took to save Carrie. No matter what the price.
Even bargain with the devil. And Drago might just be that. She didn’t know if he was friend or foe, but then, it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered but finding Carrie.

Posted by Lisa Renee Jones :: 12:03 PM :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------