Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Blog winner recap and other fun stuff





Above...what I think my hero from WHO'S ON TOP looks like. The book I just turned into EC... Okay yes I know it's David again but I can't help it. He fits. the more conservative side of David. Maybe the BONES one but there aren't any really good pictures yet from his new show..


THIS WEEKS BLOG WINNER WITCHY!!!! Email me your address for your prize at LRENJ@AOL.COM ...Email me!

It's Wednesday and I am still waiting.........it's the story of my life! Friday night I was so tortured over another weekend with no news that I had some wine. This was a good thing because it just so happened I was writing a scene from Who's On Top, book two of my EC OFFICE GAMES series and it really helped me get the tipsy feeling lol....Here is a look:

This scene is with her brother Mike who will be the next hero in the Office Games series: This is unedited so be easy on me lol...But the book is done at 48k and turned into my editor YEAH!!
Cat sat at the bar of the Blue Lagoon Restaurant and sipped her third margarita. Mike had asked her to meet him over an hour ago. Of course, she knew he wanted to tell her about the charges being dropped, but she knew already. Nice of him to tell her after it was already going to hit tomorrow’s papers.
So, while she sat and waited, she drank. A lot more than usual. In fact, she hadn’t had this much to drink in, well, in years. But today she’d turned Reese away, and he’d let her. She wasn’t sure what she’d wanted him to do, but walk away wasn’t it. Which was nuts. He was a poison. The kind that pulled her into the hell of her mother’s world. Wanting a man who would never find you more important than his work. And of course, that was the case with Reese. It took a certain breed to be an attorney. To think he would or could be different than the rest would be nuts. For a little window of time, she’d tried to convince herself the opposite was true. Just thinking about her stupidity made her take another long draw off her straw. She should stop drinking. Her head felt light. She took another sip, not caring. Wanting to forget.
This thing with her father cheating with Ray’s wife had slapped her with the cold, hard reality that happily ever after was a fairy tale. The world was a big, dirty game and the easiest way to deal seemed to keep the play in perspective. She’d lost that with Reese and that meant she had to distance herself. If she didn’t, he would hurt her, and in a big way. Already she felt a knot in her chest that the tequila seemed to dull, at least a little.
“Sorry I’m late.”
Cat turned to find Mike looking his normal handsome self, ties loosened, shirt rolled up to the elbows. “I expected it. After all, nothings more important than work. I know the way it goes. Got it. No problem.” She took another really long drink.
Mike gave her a probing look as he adjusted the barstool next to her so it angled towards her seat. He flagged the bartender. “How many have you had, Little Sis?”
“Not enough.” She shoved her glass away. “Order me another.” Impatient, she flagged the bartender who didn’t see her. She slapped the bar. “Damn. Just like a man to be so distracted.” The man turned. “Over here. Drinks please.”
The bartender – Joe, as he’d told her one drink back - smiled at her. He’d been flirting. She was okay with that. Not that it would get him anywhere, but she was pretty sure he’d made her drinks stronger than he might have otherwise. That counted for something. Tonight she wanted strong.
When Joe appeared before Mike and slid a napkin on the mahogany bar, Mike kept his gaze on Cat. “What are you waiting on?” she asked, frowning. “Order.” She looked at Joe and patted the bar. “He wants a beer. Whatever you have on tap that’s light.” She realized her oversight. “Oh. Joe.” She motioned to Mike. This is my brother Mike. Mike meet Joe. He’s the best margarita maker in all of Manhattan. Aren’t you, Joe?”
Joe laughed. “If the lady says so, then it’s true. What can I get you Mike?”
Cat eyed Joe. He was a sexy guy, her new bartender. He had long brown hair tied at the back in a ponytail. A square jaw. Deep blue eyes. But not as blue as Reese’s. Reese had eyes that would melt a woman in the middle of a snowstorm. Damn. Reese. God. Why would the man not get out of her head? Maybe she should take Joe home and fuck Reese out of her system. She sighed. She didn’t want Joe. She didn’t. Reese had ruined her. She wanted him.
It was an emotional thought. “I’m empty, Joe.” She scooted her glass towards him. “I like the salt. Can I get more salt?”
“Anything you want, Cat. More salt and a beer on tap coming up.”
With Joe’s departure, Cat lingered on Reese. He was the type of man a woman should never fall for. It just so happened, her oldest brother fit the same formula. “So, Mike,” Cat said. “You’re a good looking guy with lots of money.”
He chuckled. “And you’re an attractive woman with lots of money.”
“Ah,” she said, holding up a finger. “But there’s a difference between you and I.” The bartender set her drink in front of her. “Thank you. You’re fast Joe. Not a good trait in the bedroom but a damn good one for the bar.”
“Cat!” Mike barked his disapproval.
“What?” she asked, eyeing him with a sideways look. “It’s true, Mike. We’re brother and sister. Not secrets. It’s okay to be frank.” He cursed and reached for his beer, a deep frown on his handsome face. Cat laughed. “Give Joe a big tip with all that cash you have. You’re good at buying happiness.” She looked at Joe. “He’s loaded.”
“Alrighty then,” Mike said, reaching in his pocket and obeying. A moment later he tilted back his beer and took a long slug.
“As I was saying,” Cat said, running a finger over her salt rimmed glass and sucking it off. “The difference in you and me-”
“Is that I’m a man and you’re a woman?”
“Haha.” She crinkled her nose. “You’re so funny.” Pause. “Not.” He grinned.
Cat pinched the dimple. “See? Isn’t smiling better than all that frowning?” He shook his head as if he was at a loss for words. Whatever. She pointed a finger at her temple. “You and I think different. I hate the way people want me for my money.”
Her brows dipped and he laughed again. Short. Without humor. “You think I want to be wanted for my money. Where the hell did you get a crazy idea like that?”
Her hands fluttered in the air. “Oh come on, Mike.” There was a ‘give-me-a-break’ tone to her voice. “You offer a woman no more than a good fuck.” She touched his arm and added with concern, “I hope it’s good.” Pause for a sip off her straw and to give Mike time to lift his jaw off the bar. “Then you give her a nice gift her and there. I know how smart you are, Mikey, and you know damn well they aren’t sticking around for love.”
He grabbed her arm. “Will you keep your voice down?”
She giggled, something she couldn’t remember doing in a very long time, nor could she help herself. It felt rather good. She giggled some more. “Sorry, Mikey.” In mock distress she said, “Don’t mean to embarrass the big, bad businessman.”
“Okay,” Mike said. “You’re cut off.”
He reached for her glass and she grabbed it. “No, I am not. This is New York. It’s not like I’m driving or something. There is no walking while drunk law.” She held up another finger. “Not that I’m drunk. I am merely feeling…good.”
“It’s called public intoxication and it is a law.”
She waved him off with a hard flick of her wrist. “Whatever. Let’s just get down to business. That is why you’re here, right?” she asked. “Business? It’s always business. Let me make it simple for you so you can get on with your all consuming life. The charges were dropped. I know. It’s tomorrow’s front page.” Then, in a sarcastic tone. “So nice of you to inform me after I already know.”

Posted by Lisa Renee Jones :: 9:15 AM :: 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------